Monday, June 27, 2005

what is love?

I found some thoughts about what love is on a christian forum but let's start with what the Bible says:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."


These are the comments made by ppl in the forum:
"I've always tried not to use the term "falling in love"-- sounds bad. Help!! I've fallen in love and I can't get out!!! Almost like avoiding the responsibility of your actions- it was an accident. Nobody falls on purpose!
I didn't fall anywhere for my fiancee. I love him because I choose to & because I want to- and because God gave him to me to love! It all makes perfect sense. It's not just emotion, although that's nice too, it's a way of life. A way to relate to someone."

"love will hope, love will have faith. It is greater than an emotions. God is love. Love is what creates matter and energy. Love is everything. To limit it to an emotion is commiting a crime. Just limiting to one word, love, is unjust."


"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained." C.S. Lewis

Love is not a feeling. When I confuse my feelings of love with Love, I perceive that Love comes and goes, when in fact Love is always present and available to me. Love is constant and I am the one in flux. But in any moment I have the potential to decide to Love, regerdless of my feelings. I take great comfort in that potential, even when I myself am far from feeling loving myself. - Cody Clark

"True love is more than emotion. It means you will be there no matter what the situation and love them unconditionally. You only wanting what is best for the other person, not your own selfish desires."

And my favourite:
"Love is a verb"


============
On the other hand, the dictionary gives us different definitions which lean towards love being a feeling.

1 A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2 A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
3

1. Sexual passion.
2. Sexual intercourse.
3. A love affair.

4 An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
5 A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.

=============

Well, with all those quotes from the people in the forum, i tend to agree that love is a verb and not just an emotion. Of course, attraction in a relationship plays a major part but when you love someone, you're actually saying that you're committed to the other person's well-being. Ok so this is my definition of love:

Love - (verb) Committing to the other person's wellbeing

But my definition is very loose. I prefer the Bible's definition the best.hehehe..seems like loving someone is a high calling.

No comments: